Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Slow Release Air Freshener made with Toys!!!

So as I stated in my last post, moving and renovating has given me a few new ideas. When we first moved to this house it stunk of cat pee. Yeah EEEEWWWW!!! We cleaned the grout with bleach and a lot of elbow grease, but the stench was still there and now added with bleach smells. Any suggestions to add to this freshener are welcome. Until I find an effective recipe for getting the smell out of grout I have needed to use air fresheners. I love using the fragrance spheres like the ones that Yankee Candle has, but they are so expensive and full of chemicals. After some trial and error I have found a extremely easy recipe that is cheap and the materials are reusable. Better yet one of them is found in the toy isle at many stores like Walmart. That's right. I said the toy isle. Specifically usually found in the girls toy isle. The toy I am talking about is Orbeez. This one is very fun to watch when you put the liquid in the jar, and in the end is very pretty looking. That being said I do feel the need to say the next thing as I know many of you use chemical free cleaners because of young ones.

WARNING: Orbeez is a CHOKING HAZARD. Although the liquid used in this recipe is safe for young ones, swallowing Orbeez can cause Choking, Serious Injury, and even lead to DEATH. DO NOT KEEP IN REACH OF CHILDREN.

Now lets get started.

Materials

  • Mason Jar with a lid (I used an 16 oz jar)
  • Bowl 
  • Spoon
  • Hammer
  • Phillips Screw Driver
  • 2 packets of Orbeez (I only used red for this one)
Ingrediants
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1 tsp Essential oils 
First you will need to make holes in the lid of the mason jar. Leave the lid on the jar. Put the end of the screw driver onto the lid, and use the hammer to hit the handle so it will punch a hole in the top. do this repeatedly till you get a desired number of holes in the top. you will want about a 1/4 inch between each of them to maintain structural integrity of the lid. Unscrew the lid and set it aside with the jar.

Use the bowl and spoon to mix the water and essential oils.

Pour both packets of Orbeez into the mason jar. Now pour the liquid mixture from your bowl into the jar with the Orbeez. Now here is the fun part. Wait a few minutes and they will be fully grown to almost 300 times their original size.

When they are dried up you can make a new liquid mixture and just pour it right in. Here is a picture of my finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment